Monday, December 18, 2006

Vyew & Skype

Wow! Pat Aroune is using Vyew & Skype together with his kids in New York:
"I have mentioned in previous posts that exposure to the sheer volume of technology can often be overwhelming. Whether it is blogs, wikis, or podcasts, there exists almost unlimited instructional potential these technologies present, and I struggle to create some order to it all. Furthermore, I am not even sure if these technologies are accomplishing my intended goals. Lately, I began to realize that while I was worried about created an online read/write platform, my class was developing a collaborative community right under my nose.About one month ago, I asked five students to participate in an online experiment utilizing Skype and an online interactive whiteboard called Vyew . Vyew is a free, always on collaboration and web conferencing site that allows individuals real-time desktop sharing and capturing. I met with this small group of students, and we began what was essentially on online tutoring session for an upcoming essay. We did nothing that had not been done during the course of a classroom session, except we were all in our individual homes, and it was 8:30 p.m.. I began to sense, over the course of that hour long session, a wave of energy and enthusiasm from the participants. One month later, this concept of online collaboration has taken on a life of is own. Just last night, twenty sophomores from my A.P. European History classes, met online and did a Skype - Vyew session in preparation for an essay exam today. The remarkable thing is, I was not even a part of it. Individual initiative got last night's conference off the ground. More power to the students!"

Now I'm wondering how I could use this with my Grade 8 Math classes!

No comments: